Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Goals

The initial thought behind starting this was to have an outlet. Something to post my idle thoughts about gaming on. I realize that aimless things are just that however pointless. My life to this point has been somewhat of a drifting existence and for my troubles I have gained no real skills of any kind. In theory I would like to make a career out of creating games. However I have made no step of any kind in this direction.

So first order of business is to establish goals. How you set them is equally important. Once at a community college I was a member of a video game club that started out as just a bunch of guys hanging out playing games. As I'm sure you can imagine. Most of the students involved were a part of the schools game development program so naturally one day we took it into our heads that our club should also be about the creation of as well as enjoyment of video games. We were excited and full of enthusiasm. This would be a brief flare of inspiration it turned out. The one person who had any actual experience creating anything more than a Java applet insisted that we make a full fledged, marketable game. Despite the fact that most of the club had little to no experience with the tools of the trade; including the programming languages involved, and the rendering software (because it was going to be a 3d game of course). So when he wrestled control of the project and began haphazardly trying to teach the advanced to people who didn't have the basic knowledge needless to say it collapsed in on itself.

That said I need to familiarize myself with the tools. My wife and I have several textbooks for creating games due to her own time spent in that very development program. Books that I myself have never once cracked open. Aside from a few programming classes in high school which I have by now completely forgotten I have zero experience. Accepting this I'm going to start at a crawl and build something from the ground up step by step.

From henceforth this page will serve not only as a vent but also as a way to update progress and prove to myself as well as those around me that I can accomplish something beyond just getting by.

No comments:

Post a Comment